Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Fourth of July Vs Independence Day

Hello all! Happy Independence Day! It feels weird semi-celebrating it in another country, in my opinion, but regardless, I feel like I need to rep my country even though I’m not in it.

Well you are all probably wondering about my experience in the rain forest. Well… there was tons of rain… and lot of trees. I think that pretty much sums up the rainforest.

To be honest my time spent in the forest was great in a strange way. Aside from Felica’s constant screeching because of animals, I think I found some peace and solitude from being there. Even though I will probably be afraid of butterflies all my life, I did enjoy seeing the toucans, sloth, and even the bats flying around at night. I am really happy we went for the hike on Friday. We got to see a lot of trees and plant, many of which are endangered. I learned a lot, like pretty much all plants in the rainforest can pretty much cure anything, but cancer. On the hike there were plants for colds, heart problems, even diarrhea.(Which many of the team members needed). Yes the rainforest was tranquil apart from the weather, the bugs, the trees, the animals, high bridges, the mud, the hills (no, mountains). Really it was quite an experience.

Of all things in the rainforest, the people there were most wonderful, especially my friend Victor, he was so cool. If we came back in like two years, his English would be pretty good. He was so cool, even though he knew so much about the rainforest he was always open to know more. Victor honestly had such a sweet heart and I think the whole team is going to miss him.

The one thing that was so amazing to witness about being in the rainforest was the community. I never saw in my life a community that was so united. I really can’t put into words the unity of these people. After hearing their history it surprised me, after many failures with agriculture, they still found ways to make their community survive. I guess it isn’t a big surprise, but it was amazing to see how they got themselves through their troubles, and how they moved the community into Ecotourism. I really liked the village and all the people I’ve met.

It’s sad that the trip is ending with every minute my heart grows sadder and more anxious. Sadder because a huge part of me doesn’t want to leave San Jose. It’s been fun and tons of memories are collected in this city. I’m very anxious about getting home because I really miss my family. I feel time will move accordingly, and now try to live with the motto "Carpe Diem."

Being in Costa Rica, I’ve truly gotten to understand and experience Pura Vida (Pure Life)

hEPA!!!!!!!
**** Cristal****

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

This is a really great post.

Did anyone talk to you about how US pharmaceutical companies go to the rainforest to learn about the healing properties of plants and then steal the "science" and plants to make drugs? It's sad when you realize that the peace and community you experienced could be destroyed by big drug companies...

What an amzing experience you had! Thanks for sharing.

10:42 AM

 
Blogger Mr. O said...

This was mentioned by Epsy Campbell to some extent, though she was more focused on the potentially disastrous effects of CAFTA on the government's ability to buy generic medicines which are cheaper than the name brands.

Your point is particularly disturbing because it shows how the major corporations try to game the system both ways, taking the basic knowledge and resources without fair compensation and selling back the finished product at an inflated rate. How to stop them is the question? Governments can't do everything, but perhaps they should be doing this...

9:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home