Thursday, June 29, 2006

Preguntas y Respuestas

Oh My Goodness it so great to hear from you all. It nice to hear from some familiar people. I’m tying this at 11:20 at night which is about 1:20 in PA, even being here a few days my body still works on Pittsburgh Steelers Time (Corny Joke I know), but all in all it’s late. The reason why I don’t like bloggings is because I don’t really know what to write and I’m not a big fan of the idea. Plus I want to be in touch with Nature and Costa Rica, I need to feel the vibes of the earth
To answer some of your questions I’ll start with:

Why are you interviewing them? Are they politicians? Peasants?
We are interview significant leaders in Costa Rican and San Jose. Yes they are Politicians and not peasant, though later I’ll tell you about my special project. So far we’ve interviewed four people that have connections with the politics in the country. We’ve interviewed an environmentalist and a musician, that interview was amazing, I actually want to be adopted by Manuel Obregon he was just a musical genius. Other than that’s we’ve been really busy doing interviews but now they are over. By the way people in Costa Rica are pretty much the same as people in the US (Not America) Costa Ricans go by the name Ticos. Moving on the topic of Great Discussions that many commented on.

What does "Fair Discrimination" represents to Costa Rica?

On Tuesday when we interviewed Clotilde Obregon she talked about Costa Rican History in 1863? Costa Rica wouldn’t allow Blacks and Chinese into the Costa Rica, and questions were raise. Before 1863 a man from the south; William Walker went to Central American in hopes to create slave states invaded and managed to take over Nicaragua so Costa Rica wanted to help by defeating the US. When Costa Rica was in Post war process they shut down the boarders for blacks because of an agreement with Pres. Lincoln. Also they shut their boarders to the Chinese. So Clotilde explained it as Fair Discrimination because Costa Rica didn’t want to sign an agreement with the United States they choose politer way of saying no, by not allowing the two groups, and not singling out just one group. So it was Fair Discrimination by not allowing both Black and Chinese. Sorry for the long explaining but I was Comico.

So now yens have to use the phases “Fair Discrimination” :P The next response is for Ms. M. Whit

I only know the basic fruits such as apples, bananas, plums, peaches, grapes, and oranges. What fruits have you eaten? What does fruit mean to Costa Rica?
Well to be honest I don’t totally know all of the foods I’ve consumed since I’ve been down here. I do know I didn’t heat Qui(?). I’ve learned sometimes it’s better not to know.
For Ms. White I have a list of the fruits we eaten and all these fruit were juices also.
1. Maracuya ( a mucusy center) 2. Tamarindo ( Brown and has big seeds, also a candy found in Mexico) 3. Pineapple ( the pest you’ll find anywhere) 4. Lemons (which are limes) 5. Carambolda ( Star Fruit) 6. Cas 7. Papya 8. Watermelon 9. Guanabana.
As far as food goes, it’s been really good and adventurous. For breakfast we have gallo pinto which is beans and rice. Also we have had eggs and ratilla, which is a salty mike, it kinda taste like sour cream
We’ve have had different type of bean which I’m sure Felicia told you all about that. And Dinner is usually a heartier foods like meets a green vegetables. And Rice so much rice everywhere, now I even dream of rice now. Not really.

How did the 'bed building' go yesterday? Can you please tell us more about this service experience?
Sorry to post things really late, but as I mention before I’m not one to blog, It’s now 12 am and I’m still not done, but not to complain. The bed building experience was so much fun, First we went to the school and chilled with the kids Christopher, Gabrielle, y, Ryan. Then we went to the homes and it took us maybe 15-25 minutes and then the second house it took use maybe 10 the children were so sweet and nice and so grateful for everything. I loved the bed building, I if had to choose I would have love to have done it the whole time. Most of the really service starts manana so I should get in the bed soon. I’m extremely excited about being in the rainforest in a village and being with the Ticos.


I just wanted to know how is there is there environment different compared to our and is it hard adapting to the way they do things out there?
The physical environment is very different , because the geographic of Costa Rica is so Rich ( in part due to it’s name) It has great farmland and the Capital is located in the valley of mountains. One interesting this since is rains 6-8 out of year so there like ditches is all the roads . Yes it is really different here. The city is nice, umm like any city you have nice parts and bad part, but not wild has happened yet so over all I really like the city. The only thing that I think is hard to get used to is that people stare, but not in a bad way. It’s cultural thing to following things with the eyes. At first I felt really comfortable but today something amazing happened. I was staring at this guy walking passed and through his eyes he gave me a glace of acceptance that I have master on of the Cultural Barriers, he I felt like he accepted me into the world of Costa Rican Culture, I felt wonderful.
I did find that it wasn’t hard to adapt to the language, but overall my time here has been wonderful, and I love it because I’m learning something new everyday.

Pura Vida
***Cristal***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home