Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Fast Times in Escazu

Masks - Who ever thought?



We did more today than you can even deal with. In the morning we had to hop out of bed for an early interview with one Gabrielle Quesada, who proved to be quite fascinating. He had much to say about the environment, politics, and the interplay between the two. He was quite clear about the fact that the market will never make proper room for environmentalism and that the government must set aside room for the environment. In fact, he suggested that environmentalism in the constitution was a possible next step for Los Ustados Unidos.

I was totally impressed by the city walking tour. The history here seems so much more concentrated than American history. Granted, the USA is a bit older, but you know.

I dare you to walk around Costa Rica for a few minutes without hearing about William Walker or CAFTA. If you can, teach me how.

The mask maker was a highlight. It seemed that he was sincerely interested in his art, and truly proud of the fact that he had inherited it from his grandfather and father. I was enthralled by the style of the masks, especially the one depicting the Chupacabra in dark greens and browns. I find the constant references to skulls, death and the devil to be interesting. Perhaps our own culture could learn something from these strong traditions. Perhaps we aren't jovial enough about such things.


I'm super psyched that I don't EVER have to wear a black worsted wool suit in the tropical sun again if I don't want to. And, if the local resentment of CAFTA is any indication, I'll never be down here on capitalist imperialism missions, so I shan't worry. Bueno!!

-TREVOR EL CHUPACABRA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home